Discussion on Twitter
Jun 17, 2013
ISLAMABAD: Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan on Monday presented a preliminary report on the attack on Jinnah’s Ziarat residency in the National Assembly.
Speaking on the floor of the House, the interior minister said a joint investigation team had been constituted to investigate the attack on the building in which the Quaid-i-Azam spent the last days of his life in 1948.
The Balochistan Liberation Army claimed responsibility for the strike.
Nisar said two of the security guards posted at the Ziarat residency had been taken in for questioning.
The minister also asked as to why the guards failed to inform the police upon hearing suspicious noises indicating that an attack was taking place.
The bombing sent a wave of shock and horror among the populace in Ziarat, a quaint and quiet place which hitherto knew nothing of bomb explosions.
Ziarat, located at more than 2,500 metres above sea level and surrounded by Juniper trees, is a popular tourist site. The two-storey residency was built in 1892 and formerly used by representatives of the British government in India.